SAM B. WEST HEALTH CARE CENTER
What comes to mind when you hear the words Skilled Nursing?
Many would be completely surprised to discover how vibrant and happy folks can be when surrounded by smiling, caring supporters; sunny, clean accommodations; opportunities for fun and fellowship; and the best of care.
Atherton’s health care center is located on-site in our community. Residents stay near friends and family, whether they need short-term rehab, respite care, ongoing long-term care, or palliative care. Azusa Pacific University in Azusa, CA, as well as Pasadena City College, have designated Atherton as a teaching site where nursing students can do their geriatric rotation. We love the energy these fresh students bring to our residents; and they love the experience they receive by working alongside our competent team of licensed nurses, activity and rehab professionals, and certified nursing assistants.
Atherton is proud of the quality of care we provide in our health care center. By all measures we are an outstanding example of life-affirming, excellent care. We are licensed and regulated by the California Department of Public Health. You can see our latest state survey results by clicking on the link below.
A Community Of Caring
31 private rooms and 34 semi-private rooms (2 maximum) in the Sam B. West Health Care Center are designed for residents to add their personal touches from home. Many have outdoor patios. There are several cozy dining rooms where residents gather. The wellness garden, multiple activity rooms, beauty shop, and family rooms help residents stay connected to family and friends. Geriatric activity experts maintain a busy daily schedule of activities that promotes enrichment in every dimension of wellness.
Full List of Skilled Nursing Services
- Three delicious meals with entrée selection and table service enhance social interaction in our quaint dining rooms, or meals can be provided in-room if needed.
- Full-time Registered Dietician
- Special diets accommodated
- Dining assistance
- Nutritious snacks
- Initial assessment and an individualized interdisciplinary care plan
- Extended digital cable television (160 channels)
- Telephone with local service
- Daily housekeeping, including bed making
- Individual climate control
- Laundering of towels and bed linens as needed
- Spa-like bathing amenities
- A nurse call system
- IV therapy
- Diabetes management
- Pain management
- Rehabilitative therapies, including physical, occupational and speech
- Pharmaceutical services
- Wheelchair-accessible transportation
- Feeding tubes, oxygen, and wound care
- Group and individual activities tailored to resident needs and preferences
- Structured programs designed for skilled nursing residents by our professional staff
- Assistance with daily living activities including bathing, oral care, grooming, dressing, and eating as needed
- Hydration and nutrition monitoring program
- Medical orders and treatment plans carried out by licensed nurses
- Medication administration and monitoring
- Coordination for hospice care
- Discharge planning and case management including communication with the resident’s doctor(s) and family, and coordination of services needed
Atherton residents are neighbors and friends for life. Just because the journey leads to a long-term care environment, there is no stopping the caring, the loving, and the joy.
Sometimes a temporary nursing stay is needed to accommodate a life transition, complete recuperation, manage the pressing needs of a spouse, or allow live-in relatives to go out of town. In our respite you can be sure you will be welcomed, treated with the utmost of respect and dignity, called by your name, and provided the best of care.
Get Better, Get Well, and Get Home! Our expert therapy staff is trained in the latest advances in rehabilitative medicine. We offer physical, occupational, and speech therapy…. And we have fun each day. Our 15-acre campus has both a fully equipped in-patient rehab center for our health care residents; and an out-patient clinic (The Well) for independent residents and the community at large.
Atherton enjoys a vital partnership with Therapy Specialists to provide the best in Rehab Services. Leila Olsen directs the program
For questions about our Rehab services or Therapy Specialists, email Leila at: [email protected]
You don’t have to be religious to affirm that topics like death and dying require a spiritual atmosphere. Along with our commitment to Christian living for today’s seniors comes a deeply hopeful and positive perspective on these all-important, highly personal matters. Atherton has created special accommodations for hospice and palliative care. These feature light, calm, comfortable rooms opening onto our gardens. Deeply compassionate caregivers quietly serve with warm competence. Their charge involves serving the entire family; offering encouragement and affirmation with respect for each one’s needs and perspective.